Saturday, February 5, 2011

Because it works so darn well

The other day I finally broke down and purchased a Starbucks travel mug. After trying several cheaper varieties over the years, and not being happy with any of them, it was time to buy something better. My new Starbucks mug is perfect for its intended use and I'm 100 percent satisfied with it.



I'm sure you can think of items you use every day that you may have paid a little bit more for but are so happy with its performance, you are glad you purchased it.

Looking around for other items that come immediately to mind would surely include my Mac and all the related Apple products, from the iPod to the iPad. When I purchased my first Mac it was in the mid 80s when the initial model was introduced. It was the first computer I could easily operate and remains the same to this day. In addition, every other Apple product seamlessly works with it. Sure, I could pay less for my computers and other electronics. But I can't believe I'd be as satisfied.

Another item within my reach is the case for my iPod touch from a little company in San Francisco called WaterField Designs http://www.sfbags.com whose tiny bag fits perfectly and is so functional.

The truth is that we rely on many products in our everyday life that help us in so many ways.

This is also true of the books we own. The books I turn to with regularity are those that reliably help or inspire me. I'm always picking up my copy of David Ogilvy's classic Ogilvy on Advertising because the advice he provided decades ago is still true today. Other books I've practically worn the covers off include Thomas Woll's Publishing for Profit (great information for budding publishers), David Burns' The Feeling Good Handbook (for help overcoming anxiety) and Roger Finke and Rodney Stark's The Churching of America (tells how the church spread from coast to coast as our nation grew).

What those and other books have in common is that the information they contain is as good today as it was years ago. They are timeless.

The point is that as formats change from printed books to electronic books, the same will always be true. A book that provides helpful information is valuable to its owner.

These are not books that one throws away. They do not grow old like bananas but instead age gracefully.

If you are a lover of books and the information contained therein, you can look to your bookshelf and immediately find those that have become reliable sources of information.

As an author it is vital that before you publish, you take another look at the contents of your book and ask the question: Is this information timeless enough to publish? Does it work darn well?

No comments:

Post a Comment